Now that Memorial Day is just a few days away, we can officially start the summer season! Pull out the white clothes and shoes and all of those cute pairs of sandals!
It is also time to have those barbecues and picnics. There are a few things to keep in mind when eating.
- Watch those salads. So many of the summer salads, like potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, etc are made with a good bit of mayonnaise. That is basically all fat. Try to avoid those, they have way too many fat grams and calories.
- Enjoy the season with fruits! There are so many fruits that are available in the summer. That is one of my favorite things about summer. I love the berries and melons and you can do so much with them. They can be a snack, appetizer, an ingredient in a main dish or even a dessert and they are so delicious!!! Pineapple on the grill is a family favorite in my house.
- Grilling. I love all kinds of meats, chicken and fish on the grill. I have to admit, my favorite is a burger. I am not a big beef fan but I love a burger on the grill. If you use some lean ground beef I don’t see a reason not to enjoy one. I use a whole wheat bun or go bun-less with the same toppings that I would put on the burger. Remember to add a lot of veggies to your burger. Lettuce, tomato, onions, cucumbers, peppers. Try something new. There are also so many ways to make chicken and fish on the grill. Kabobs are also a great idea.
- Keep hydrated. When you spend a lot of time outside, you want to make sure that you are taking in enough fluids.
- Play some games. Corn hole, croquet, horse shoes are just a few summer games. It isn’t a cardio workout but you can certainly burn some calories while having fun.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Protecting yourself against sunburn is always a smart idea.
Summer get-togethers are always so much fun. Keep in mind what you are eating and enjoy your time with family and friends!
Kathy has been posting with us every Wednesday and sharing her story and ideas for weight loss and a healthy life. Miss any of the previous posts?
Find them here:
- Counting Calories
- Cauliflower Poppers Recipe
- Changes with Spring
- Healthy School Snacks
- Raspberry Lemon Muffins | Recipe
- Keeping a Food Journal
- Oatmeal Bars | Recipe
- Spring Cleaning
- Nutritional Facts
- Restaurant Nutritional Facts
- Leap Day
- Healthy Travels
- Eating a Variety of Healthy Foods
- A Healthy Lunch at Work
- Hitting a Plateau
- Vegetable Soup
- Making Pizza
- Eating Veggies and Orange Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Weight Loss New Years Resolution
- Eating Healthy as a Family at Christmas
- Smart Snacking
- Stress and Eating Around the Holidays
- Staying Hydrated
- Healthy Thanksgiving
- Healthy during the Holidays
- Having a Workout Buddy
- Eating Healthy While on Vacation
- Recognizing When You Are Full
- Ideas for a Healthy and Hearty Breakfast
- Exercise for Health and Weight loss
- Kathy’s Tips for Dining Out
- Healthy Salads
- Kathy’s Weight Loss Philosophy
- Kathy’s Story