Exercise is such an important part of staying healthy but we all have times when we lack the motivation to get out of bed and out the door. Today we will challenge that and turn it around. Here are 9 Tips to give you the Motivation to Exercise.
- Rise and Shine – Set the alarm and achieve your fitness goals first thing in the morning! Get up early and exercise, you will start your day off right, feel more energized, wake up your metabolism, and you will have your evenings to do what you want to do.
- Exercise Every Monday – Just as working out in the morning, this will set your work week off right. Burn those calories from the weekend and set your week long pace. I’m going to bet you will want to work out Tuesday if you already have Monday under your belt.
- Set Out Your Workout Clothes – This is so simple and makes such a difference. Pick out the outfit you want to wear in the morning. Put them on a dresser or sink where they can’t be ignored. If you have clothes to wear, you have no excuse!
- Workout with a Friend – A workout buddy is super motivating. I will message my family to tell them when I’ve worked out or more importantly, when I don’t want to work out. I know that I can count on them to give me the motivation that I need to keep going. If I know my sister has hit the gym, I know I can do it too.
- Pinpoint your Motivation – Why are your exercising? Are you looking to get fit for your family? Do you want to see your great grandchildren get married? Looking forward to fitting into your skinny jeans? Or gearing up for your upcoming vacation or a wedding? Whatever your motivation is, take the time to decide your why, and then, make it your mantra.
- Visualize Your Goals – I wrote about visualizing goals in a post here. Imagine yourself where you want to be. When it’s 6 am and your bed is so comfortable and the last thing you want to do is workout… visualize your goal. Picture yourself crossing the line of your first 5k or your first marathon or turning heads at the beach. It will be what gets you out of bed.
- Make a Chart – I love playing little games, it keeps me challenged. This is why my measurement chart works so well for me. Keep up with your chart and log your weight & inches lost. Every Monday morning I fill in the chart. If my chart doesn’t work for you, make one of your own. The important thing is to stick to it.
- Set Realistic Goals – I make fitness goals for the week. By just saying that you’d like to lose weight isn’t specific enough. Little goals it make exercise easy. Instead say “I want to exercise 5 days this week and stay at my calorie goal everyday”. Now that is a manageable goal. You can handle that.
- Reward Yourself – A lot of us reward ourselves with candy or treats. We say “I had a hard day, I deserve a bar of chocolate”. Instead, reward yourself with something fun. It could be getting a manicure or buying yourself a new outfit. Something as simple as making time to do a hobby you love, seeing a movie, or getting a new book can make you motivated.
Good luck with your exercise goals! I hope these tips and tricks will help you hit the ground running. Let me know what keeps you motivated in the comments below.