Rise and shine! I recently learned (the hard way) how important it is to set your day set up for success, you only learn this by failing to do so and feeling in a frantic panic all week. Here are 7 things to do at night to make the morning easier and the day less hectic.
- Make Breakfast – Not all of the way of course, but start breakfast. Put out bowls, oatmeal or fruit. Whatever is needed for breakfast prep. When I make oatmeal I like to mix up all of the dry ingredients and just add hot water. If you’re making an omelet, crack the eggs in a bowl and chop veggies the night before (or when you’re prepping dinner) store everything in the fridge so it’s handy.
- Pack Tomorrow’s Lunch – Assemble your lunch and snack for the next day. Brown bagging it will save so much money during the week instead of buying. I often find that I eat much healthier foods when I pack my own lunch as opposed to buying it.
- Clean Out Bags – Go through all of the bags: a purse, work bag, book bag, gym bag, etc. Remove trash, gum wrappers, and receipts. Check for keys, cash, train pass, metro card, work ID, everything you’ll need to get through the next day. Put a new magazine or book in the bag for downtime.
- Straighten Up – It’s amazing how putting a few things back where they belong will make things run so much smoother. It’s even easier to tackle out of place items as you go from room to room. I love coming home to a neat house, I feel relaxed.
- Pick Workout Clothes – Nothing gets my day off to a great start like a good workout. I know this but actually getting up and getting the workout in before showering takes dedication. Set yourself up for success by picking the clothes you want to wear, put them where you’ll see them complete with socks, shoes and hair ties. This way there are no excuses! Go one set further and put the DVD in the player queued up to the beginning or your iPod ready to play for your run. In connection with this tip, set out your clothes you want to wear during the day as well.
- Make Coffee or Tea – Put coffee in the filter and water in the machine. Set the timer, if you have one. If you drink tea, set out the tea bag and mug you want to use.
- Slow Cook Dinner– Have dinner when you walk through the door with a slow cooker. I love mine. I make everything from chili, black beans, lentil stew, to apple butter in my slow cooker. It’s a super time saver and very rewarding to have dinner ready. Prep it the night before and toss everything in the morning. Easy to do and worth the effort.
Finally, set everything in one place, by the door is great or at a little station in the kitchen. Grab it and walk out the door!
What do you do to get ready for the next day? Do you wish that you’d have less chaos in the morning? I hope these tips provide an opportunity to sit down and enjoy a mug of coffee and a peaceful moment before the day begins.