Last weekend I went to my local grocery store and found two large packages of brown bananas as a manager’s special. I bought 24 bananas for $1.25. I just had to make banana bread. So today I’m sharing 5 ways to use brown bananas.
- Banana Bread – Baking banana bread is my favorite thing to do with brown bananas! I made 6 loaves and shared with my neighbors and family for Thanksgiving.
- Fruit Smoothie – This is an easy and delicious way to use up bananas. Blend up a fruit smoothie and if you’re bananas for bananas, make a Chocolate Elvis by blending bananas, peanut butter, cocoa powder or chocolate syrup, and a bit of milk or plain yogurt.
- Freeze Them – Peel the bananas and toss them into a plastic bag or throw the bananas in the freezer with the peels on. By doing this you will always have bananas on hand.
- Banana Ice Cream – Make a low fat and sugar version of ice cream by blending or processing frozen chunks of bananas (see #4). Add a bit of milk for a smoother consistency and also add flavoring or your favorite ingredients.
- Banana Waffles – Whip up banana waffles in your blender and cook in the waffle iron. Recipe to follow tomorrow!
What are your favorite things to do with brown bananas? Do you make smoothies with them or bake them into bread and muffins?