One of the biggest rules with healthy eating is… don’t drink your calories. However, with the holidays in full swing you might be temped to indulge and do some serious damage. Here are 5 low calorie drinks for the holidays.
- Sparkling Cranberry Water – Pour a glass of seltzer water and add a dash or two of low sugar cranberry juice. Garnish with fresh cranberries or lime wedges.
- Spiced Coffee – I love pumpkin spice lattes, but they can be calorie bombs. Add a few good shakes of pumpkin spice seasoning (or any of the following cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, all spice) to a mug of steamy coffee. Add nonfat milk and lightly sweeten.
- Lady Grey Tea – My favorite tea drink for chilly nights. Tea can be a great center piece for a get together or a warm treat at the end of a long day.
- Apple Spiced Tea – Brew a cup of black tea, add a splash or two of apple cider and a cinnamon stick.
- Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa – Heat low fat milk on the stove and add dark chocolate cocoa powder, stevia or your favorite sweetener, and a handful of chocolate chips. Warm until chocolate melts but be careful not to scorch the cocoa. Add some peppermint extract if desired.
Drinks to stay away from or be diligent with eggnog, sugary sweet cocktails, punch, extra dollops of whipped cream, and lattes. You don’t have to over indulge to enjoy the holidays.