10 Human Foods Dangerous to Dogs & Cats


Most pet lovers know that chocolate is dangerous for dogs to consume. I was surprised that avocados and chewing gum could be fatal to my dog. Here’s a list of 10 human foods pets need to avoid.

  1. Chocolate – Chocolate poisoning is caused by methylxanthine alkaloids. This is found in the cacao seeds which means that dark chocolate is the most concentrated. Dogs who have chocolate poisoning will vomit and be hyperactive and restless. For more details check out this article. If you think that your pet has ingested chocolate please contact your veterinarian or call the ASPCA Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435.
  2. Caffeine – Coffee and caffeinated drinks are not good for dogs. These drinks also contain methylxanthine.
  3. Avocado – You might love guacamole but keep it away from your pup. Avocados contain persin which is toxic to dogs and cats.
  4. Grapes & raisins – The ASPCA warns that dogs should avoid grapes & raisins. It is not clear what part of the fruit causes liver failure in dogs. Read more about grapes and raisins here.
  5. Raw or undercooked meat and eggs – Eating raw or undercooked meat and eggs can cause dogs and cats to contract salmonella or e. coli. This is not only dangerous to pets but is also dangerous to their humans, as people can contract salmonella from their sick pet. In November 2011, the FDA began testing pet food for salmonella.
  6. Onions, garlic, chives – These foods can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. Cats are effected more than dogs but both should avoid these foods.
  7. Milk – Milk can cause upset stomachs in both dogs and cats. Their digestive systems cannot digest high quantities of lactase.
  8. Salt – Excessive amounts of salt is dangerous in dogs, if you want to share a treat with your four legged friend avoid salty chips and pretzels. Stick to puppy approved snacks.
  9. Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in gum, mints, toothpaste, and mouthwash. Ingesting Xylitol can be very dangerous for dogs. It takes only a short period of time for a dramatic decrease in blood glucose levels resulting in vomiting, depression, loss of coordination, seizures, or coma, high doses can result in fatal liver failure. Be sure to keep mints and gum away from pets. For more information about Xylitol click here.
  10. Alcohol – Alcohol is bad for dogs and cats. It can cause a variety of symptoms from vomiting to coma.

For more information please follow this link to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Do your pet a favor and program this number into your cell phone right now: 1-888-426-4435. Also find and save a 24 hour pet emergency center in your area, it’s always good to have this information before it is needed. For a list of outdoor and indoor poisonous plants click here. Also this list of poison control questions and answer can be helpful to read.

Follow me on facebook and twitter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up for More!

Subscribe to the newsletter for the latest recipes, projects, and updates.