New York City is known for extravagance and expensive things. However, traveling in the city can still be done on a budget… even for free! Here are 10 free things to do in the Big Apple.
1. Attend a TV Show Taping – You can see your favorite TV show recorded in person! Find out more information here.
2. Grand Central and Midtown Tour – My sister and her fiance took this tour and really liked the experience. The AAA Guide to New York rated The Grand Tour as New York City’s “Best Walking Tour.” The Grand Tour meets each and EVERY Friday throughout the year at 12:30 pm in the sculpture court at 120 Park Avenue, located at the southwest corner of East 42nd Street and Park Avenue directly across from Grand Central Terminal. No reservations are necessary.
3. Ride the Staten Island Ferry – Get a great view of the city and the Statue of Liberty on a the Staten Island Ferry. Trips are free.
4. Friday at the Museum of Modern Art – Fridays are free at the Museum of Modern art from 4-8 PM. Visit my very favorite piece, Starry Night!
5. Visit the 911 Memorial – Passes are free to visit the September 11th Memorial and Museum. It is advised to visit the website to reserve passes for a specific day and time.
6. Bryant Park – Bryant Park is beautiful in the winter and after Thanksgiving it is the home to an ice skating rink lined with cute shoppes. During the summer you can enjoy a walk through the park with a coffee or stop at the nearby Crumbs for an amazing cupcake. Raspberry filled are my favorite!
7. Central Park – Central Park is beautiful and covers so much land. Take a walk or have a picnic. Look for events happening throughout the park here. It is truly an amazing site to see tall buildings surround a field and trees.
9. New York Public Library – With the first brick laid in 1902 and opening in 1911, The New York Public Library is a New York City staple. Walking up the steps, the lions, appropriately named Patience and Fortitude greet you.
10. Browse Chelsea Market – Chelsea Market is a fun place to walk through. Window shop or try samples from the shoppes and cafes. Or pick up some exceptional food. If you go I highly recommend orange chocolate gelato. It’s delish.