Last night I was looking for a good vegetable soup to fill me up but not have a ton of calories. I decided on a vegetable minestrone soup. I have to say that I am very happy with my final result.
- 1 Red onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 2 Cups carrots, sliced
- 2 Cups celery, sliced
- 1 Can crushed tomatoes
- 6 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 3 or 4 Shakes of red pepper flakes
- 1 Can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup small pasta
- 1 Cup baby spinach
- Saute onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil, until fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, vegetables, and spices.
- Bring to a boil and add beans.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 more minutes.
- Stir in spinach and while the soup cools the spinach will wilt.
Enjoy! I loved the addition of the red pepper flakes. I think it made a big difference in my recipe. What do you add to your soups? This soup so versatile that you can truly empty your refrigerator into a pot. You will have plenty of soup to enjoy for the week!