For my sister’s baby shower, we gave out these adorable teddy bear cookies as favors. It is time intensive process but certainly worth the effort. Here is a recipe for the cookies and the icing.
Almond Sugar Cookies
- 1 Cup butter
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 ½ Teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ Cups flour
- Cream butter.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Blend in egg, almond extract, vanilla, salt, and flour.
- Chill dough until firm.
- Roll to ¼ inch thickness on parchment paper.
- Cut cookies with cutter and remove dough around the cookie. This ensures that your cookie stays in the right shape.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 min. Cookies should not brown.
- Frost and decorate when cool.
Note: I always use parchment paper.
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon milk
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a rather large bowl, whisk sugar, syrup, and a bit of milk.
- Slowly add more milk to your icing. Be careful not to add too much at a time.
- Add a two drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Whisk your icing until it evenly flows from the whisk, slowly adding milk. You are looking for the consistency of honey.
- Icing the cookies with a butter knife. I’ve found that this is the easiest way of evenly icing the cookie.
- Allow icing to harden before packaging.
For the baby shower favors we wrapped a large teddy bear cookie and a small teddy bear cookie in a clear bag (from Michaels) with a pretty blue bow.
I will admit this was a process, but it was worth it. Not only are they cute they are also delish!