Normally I bake for my family once a week. I have to admit though, it was tough in the beginning to be around homemade baked goods. The first 3 months of the my weight loss, I didn’t bake. I just bought cookies for my family until I got a grasp on being able to be around that type of food. I made sure that I would buy cookies that I really didn’t like so I wasn’t tempted.
Over time, I have added a treat here and there but I wanted to make sure I was making healthy choices with those as well. I have found different recipes and have incorporated my own changes to help make even baked goods healthier.
Here is one that is healthier than normal oatmeal bars or cookies and taste pretty good. They are a little fluffier, more like a cake but still very good. My original recipe called for 2 sticks of butter. I replaced that with 1 cup of plain greek yogurt. I also cut back on the sugar and 1/2 of the flour I used was whole wheat flour.
I hope that you enjoy them, they are very easy to make.
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups of dry oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
- 1 generous handful of each:
- dried cranberries
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 pan with pam or olive oil in a misto.
- Mix yogurt, brown sugar and white sugar until blended. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add dry mixture along with oatmeal. Mix well. Add the cranberries, raisins and chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into the the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Find them here:
- Spring Cleaning
- Nutritional Facts
- Restaurant Nutritional Facts
- Leap Day
- Healthy Travels
- Eating a Variety of Healthy Foods
- A Healthy Lunch at Work
- Hitting a Plateau
- Vegetable Soup
- Making Pizza
- Eating Veggies and Orange Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Weight Loss New Years Resolution
- Eating Healthy as a Family at Christmas
- Smart Snacking
- Stress and Eating Around the Holidays
- Staying Hydrated
- Healthy Thanksgiving
- Healthy during the Holidays
- Having a Workout Buddy
- Eating Healthy While on Vacation
- Recognizing When You Are Full
- Ideas for a Healthy and Hearty Breakfast
- Exercise for Health and Weight loss
- Kathy’s Tips for Dining Out
- Healthy Salads
- Kathy’s Weight Loss Philosophy
- Kathy’s Story