I felt inspired to make scones this week. I was looking for ideas to avoid using a stick of butter and several cups of sugar. This is what I came up with. I was inspired by Happy Herbivore, she uses a cold banana instead of butter! I thought that was a great idea. My favorite combination is berries and lemon so that is how I made my scones.
Lemon Berry Scones
- 1 1/2 Cups ground oatmeal
- 1 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 Cup raw sugar, reserve a tablespoon for topping scones.
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 Cold banana ripped into 6 pieces, use greener bananas for this recipe
- 1 1/4 Cup soy milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from the same lemon
- 2 Cups mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a measuring cup, mix the milk and lemon juice. By mixing the acid with the base you are creating “buttermilk”.
- In a food processor pulse the first five dry ingredients until combined.
- Next, add the pieces of cold banana and process until banana is mixed evenly.
- Transfer mixture in the food processor to a large mixing bowl, create a well and pour in milk mixture while stirring.
- Once the mixture is wet, fold in the lemon zest and berries.
- Place approximately 1/4 cup of the dough on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. You will end up having 12 scones. I used two cookie sheets as I was a bit generous with the room I gave between my scones. I’m sure you would be able to fit 12 on one sheet with a bit of judicious scooping.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Note: To make ground oatmeal, use regular or quick cooking oats and process in a food processor until fine. It will look similar to white flour.
Also, if you prefer, you can eliminate the sugar all together.
Nutritional Facts: 132 Calories, Total Fat 1.2 grams, Fiber 2.4 grams, Sugar 8.3 grams, Protein 3.5 grams