Preparation is so important to healthy eating and so are quick meals. Today’s guest post by Kathy elaborates.
Now that summer is here, well officially in a week, I love the fresh fruits and vegetables that are in the grocery stores. Farmers markets are opening too.
I went to the grocery store and bought just a few things. No real plan in mind just things that I like. Once I got home, I started to think of all of the things that I can make with everything. It is important not to go overboard. Keep in mind how much you can eat throughout the week. Some produce can last in your fridge for a couple of weeks but not too many.
As I prepare everything, I start thinking of what I am using them for along with snacking and cut them up for different recipes. I don’t spend a lot of time on this but it makes it so much easier. I started just making my snacks ready to eat but then I found cutting vegetables for meals was easy too. That way on a busy night, I have things ready to throw into a crock pot, pan or in the oven.
Here are just a few of my ideas.
- Tuna salad – chopped celery with fat free miracle whip
- Quinoa pilaf – chopped carrots, celery and onions
- Beef stew – carrots, celery onions chopped. (I love stew in the crock pot so easy)
- Omelets – red peppers, onions, celery
- Fajitas – peppers and onions
- Kabobs – pineapple, peppers, onions, zucchini
- Salads – I use just about any vegetable that I have in the fridge!
I use fresh fruit in fruit salads, on cereal and oatmeal, in yogurt and I absolutely love fresh pineapple on the grill.
All of these ideas are ready for a quick meal and just a few minutes of prep work will make preparing you meals quick and easy.
Kathy has been posting with us every Wednesday and sharing her story and ideas for weight loss and a healthy life. Miss any of the previous posts?
Find them here:
- Menu Changes
- Interval Running
- Tips for a Healthy Memorial Day
- Counting Calories
- Cauliflower Poppers Recipe
- Changes with Spring
- Healthy School Snacks
- Raspberry Lemon Muffins | Recipe
- Keeping a Food Journal
- Oatmeal Bars | Recipe
- Spring Cleaning
- Nutritional Facts
- Restaurant Nutritional Facts
- Leap Day
- Healthy Travels
- Eating a Variety of Healthy Foods
- A Healthy Lunch at Work
- Hitting a Plateau
- Vegetable Soup
- Making Pizza
- Eating Veggies and Orange Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Weight Loss New Years Resolution
- Eating Healthy as a Family at Christmas
- Smart Snacking
- Stress and Eating Around the Holidays
- Staying Hydrated
- Healthy Thanksgiving
- Healthy during the Holidays
- Having a Workout Buddy
- Eating Healthy While on Vacation
- Recognizing When You Are Full
- Ideas for a Healthy and Hearty Breakfast
- Exercise for Health and Weight loss
- Kathy’s Tips for Dining Out
- Healthy Salads
- Kathy’s Weight Loss Philosophy
- Kathy’s Story