I made these for Christmas and they were a hit. I think biscotti is a perfect excuse to have cookies for breakfast. I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday, do yourself a favor and bake these before new years day and everyone’s resolutions start! Or save them for Valentine’s day. You will love them.
Double Chocolate Biscotti
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 Cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- On a low speed, add the eggs until combined.
- Slowly add the dry mixture, mix on low until combined and then add chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- With well floured hands, divide the dough in two equal parts. Form each ball into a rectangular log which will be approximately 10 inches by 2 inches.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Allow cookie to cool on baking rack, do this carefully to avoid breaking the cookie.
- While the cookie is still slightly warm, cut diagonally with a serrated knife. Use a a firm and direct motion when cutting in order to avoid cracking the cookie. Make each piece approximately 3/4 inch wide.
- Place sliced biscotti on a cookie sheet, this works well if you have a cooling rack placed on the cookie sheet so that both sides can toast.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crisp.
- Allow biscotti to cool.
- If desired, melt chocolate in a double boiler and dip the cookies in so that half of the biscotti is covered. Allow chocolate to set on a piece of wax paper.