As a cook, crepes have always intimidated me. The flipping and the thin texture seemed like a recipe for a big mess. When I mustered enough courage, I turned to my kitchen guru, Alton Brown for a recipe. He did not let me down. So this recipe I’m sharing is his, however I am also providing my own filling options and cooking tips.
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- Place ingredients in blender as listed.
- Blend 7 to 10 seconds – no longer!
- Place blender in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This allows the bubbles to rise and mixture to settle.
- Heat a small non stick pan on the stove. I used the #4 on my stove, you want low to medium heat.
- When the pan is good and hot, take a stick of butter and rub it on the surface. The butter will bubble and start to brown.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter in your pan.
- Pick up the pan and rotate it so the batter fills the bottom of the pan evenly.
- Place on the heat and cook for 30 seconds to a minute. Eye it, you can tell it’s ready to flip when the sides pick up off of the pan and the crepe starts to becomes solid.
- Flip with a silicone spatula or if you’re really talented flip it out of the pan!
- Cook on the other side until browned and cool on a rack.
- Once you decide what you want for a filling, place a crepe back in the warm pan and put down your ingredients, whether it is cheese, nutella, peanut butter, yogurt, cream cheese, etc…
- Top with fruit or vegetables.
- Roll up and serve immediately.
Check out a few filling ideas from my family:
Tori’s Apple Pie & Ice Cream Crepe:
Fill crepe with vanilla ice cream and sprinkle with cinnamon, fold sides up and top with hot apple filling.
Cinnamon Apple Topping:
- 1 Apple, sliced
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Melt butter in a pan.
- In a bowl mix apple cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Add apple mixture to the pan and cook until apples are soft.
Lacie’s Nutella and Strawberry Crepe:
Strawberry Nutella Crepe
- Strawberries, sliced
- Fill warmed crepe with nutella and top with strawberries.
- Flip sides up and top with strawberry sauce.
Lindsay’s Banana and Almond Crepe
Banana & Cocoa Almond Crepe
- Bananas, sliced
- Cocoa Almond Spread, Trader Joe’s
- Fill warmed crepe with almond spread and top with sliced bananas.
- Flip sides up and top with chocolate sauce.
Kathy’s Yogurt Crepe
- 1/4 Cup yogurt
- Fruit topping
- Fill warmed crepe with your favorite yogurt and top with fruit.
- Flip sides up and top with fruit to garnish.
What are your favorite crepe fillings?