These cookies are so good they might not make it to Christmas Day in my house. One of my favorite candies has always been chocolate covered cherries. This recipe flips it and makes it into a cookie, cherry covered chocolate cookies. We served these cookies at our wedding, on our cookie table. They are delish without the Hershey kiss but the chocolate puts it over the top.
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 2 Sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon maraschino cherry juice, I always end up using more
- 1/2 Teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In an mixer, blend together sugar, butter, salt, cherry liquid, and almond extract. Beat for 3 minutes until the butter is fluffy.
- Add flour to mixture until just incorporated. You don’t want to over mix with flour.
- Add chopped cherries until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and remove dough from the refrigerator. Allow the dough to sit for 30 minutes.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and scoop out dough with a scoop. You should have 24 cookies.
- Unwrap 24 Hershey kisses.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the oven, pull out the tray and gently but with a bit of pressure, add the kisses to the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 5 – 6 additional minutes. The cookies will not brown so don’t wait to see brown cookies or you will have black bottoms.
- Allow to cool on racks and enjoy!
- If you choose not to add chocolate kisses, bake cookies in the oven for 9-11 minutes.
PS: No eggs in this recipe means you can eat the dough! 🙂