This Saturday I had a little time to put together breakfast and enjoy it as the rain was falling and a cool breeze was flowing through the house. I had some peaches to use so I decided to put them in a variation of my favorite apple oatmeal bake.
- 2 Cups rolled oats
- 1/4 Cup raw sugar (sub brown if you don’t have raw)
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons melted and slightly cooled butter
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Extra large ripe bananas (almost black), sliced
- 2 Peaches, diced
- 1 1/2 Cups blueberries (prefer fresh but frozen will work too)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Combine milk, egg, butter, and extract in a bowl or measuring cup.
- Layer sliced super ripe bananas in the bottom of a buttered baking dish.
- Top with Peaches and 1 cup of blueberries.
- Sprinkle dry ingredients evenly over the fruit.
- Pour wet ingredients slowly over the dry, trying to mix evenly.
- Gently shake the baking dish to move around the liquid.
- Top with remaining blueberries.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
I love this dish because it is so versatile, you can make pretty much anything with your basic mixtures. Feel free to add walnuts or almonds to the dish for some added protein and flavor. Mix up blueberries for raspberries and have a peach melba effect. I also reduced the amount of sugar in this recipe because I believe that fruit is sweet enough. If you have a sweet tooth, by all means add more sugar to the mixture or sprinkle some on top when serving.
This could be a great dish to serve for a brunch or when you have company. I will be sure to make it the next time I have visitors. Which happens quite often. 🙂