I love apple butter and this recipe is incredibly easy and can be made in your slow cooker all day long. This is a simple and delicious recipe.
- 12 Large Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Cup apple cider
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract.
- Place apples in the crock pot. Mine filled pretty much to the top of my crock.
- Combine other ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Pour mixture over apples and give them a quick stir to coat the apples.
- Cook on low for 16 hours. Stir occasionally and check the consistency.
- Uncover with 2 hours to go to achieve desired product.
- Allow apple butter to cool and store in the refrigerator.
- I would suggest freezing some of the results for later and using it as you use it.
Resist the urge to eat these apples or pull them out too soon. If you were to stop cooking at 10 hours, you will have apple sauce. Which I’m sure is delicious! However, let it cook and then let it cook some more. I had intentions to cook for 12 hours but I could tell that it just wasn’t done. Look for a deep brown color.
I’ve also read that you can throw cinnamon heart candies to achieve a candy apple effect. I haven’t tried it but it sounds good!