With the holidays comes travel, family, friends and trips! I am lucky enough to have visitors on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, I am picking up my Mom and Sister from the airport today for a weekend trip today. :)That’s why I wanted to write a little post about preparing for out of town guests. Sometimes we get wrapped up in cleaning the house and doing laundry that we forget why we’re doing all of these things. Having a cozy home is important but spending time with loved ones is the reason for the trip. Here are a few things to keep in mind for your overnight guests.
- Make note of any food preferences and dietary restrictions. Some friends need to have a large pot of coffee in the morning! I know that my parents prefer iced tea and make sure I’m stocked up on their favorite sweeteners. It’s nice to make them feel comfortable.
- Bake a treat. I must confess, I love to bake and I love to have people to cook for. 🙂 I am sure to make Dad his favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies when he comes to visit. Don’t go crazy, it could be something as simple as a loaf of banana bread or muffins. It also makes your house smell amazing.
- Set aside toiletries and cosmetics products that your guests may like to use. Your guests may have forgotten something or if they are flying and don’t want to worry about packing liquids in their carry on luggage they may need to use soap and shampoo. Travel sized toiletries and toothpaste are nice to set out with their towel for a morning shower.
- Set out an extra blanket and pillow. Visitors have different tastes as far as temperatures at night, be sure to set out an extra blanket and pillow just in case your guests are chilly at night. Chances are they won’t wake you in the middle of the night for an extra blanket if they’re cold.
- Be prepared for stormy weather. You may have the weekend planned but also have a back up plan if it rains or something comes up. A movie night with popcorn can be a lot of fun!
- Don’t forget the touristy things in your area. You may walk past the Empire State Building everyday on your way to work but your guests may not have seen it before. It’s fun to travel your town as a tourist and do new things. You may see your world in a new way.
Be sure to have fun with your guests! Take lots of photos and enjoy your time together.
Are you preparing for any guests? Do you have any suggestions to add to the list? I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas.