Ah ee oh Killer TOFU! I’m going to admit, my first knowledge of tofu was from the song Killer Tofu by The Beets, Doug Funny’s favorite band. Do you remember the Nickelodeon cartoon Doug? I do, I’m a kid of the 90’s. 🙂
That’s what I’d like talk about today. Not killer tofu, just tofu… healthy tofu. Do you ever feel like you want to tackle tofu but are afraid because it’s a scary white block floating in water? Yep, I felt that way too. It took me another 10 years or so to try tofu. It really is like no other food I’ve ever encountered and that’s why it frightened me. It’s made from a bean. This is familiar territory, its not so scary and we have something to work with.
First a few tid bits about tofu:
- It’s full of protein – 4 oz of tofu contains 9 grams of protein.
- Tofu is a staple in Asian cuisine.
- Tofu is made in a similar way as dairy cheese. Soy milk is coagulated and curdled and formed into a block shape.
- Tofu comes in two types silken and firm. Both silken and firm tofu ranges from soft to extra firm. Silken can be used for mousse and fillings, while firm holds its shape and can be used as tofu steaks, sauteed cubes, and scrambles.
- Stick to organic. It’s not much more expensive (maybe 20 cents?) and with organic you are guaranteed to have a non-GMO product (Genetically Modified Organism). This is healthier for you and your family.
- Tofu is cheap! I can get a block of organic tofu at Trader Joe’s for $1.79.
- Freeze firm tofu overnight. The next day thaw the tofu and before preparing, drain and squeeze. You will be able to squeeze the tofu to remove lots of liquid, this allows space for a marinade to soak in.
- Tofu absorbs whatever flavor you want. Add marinades, sauces and seasonings.
If you’d like to give it a go here are a few quick ideas:
- Marinade sliced tofu in balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and soy sauce. Sprinkle some pepper and crushed red pepper, marinade all day. Grill on a George Foreman grill or in a hot pan until browned.
- Cube and pan fry and toss with stir-fried veggies and brown rice.
- Make a tofu breakfast scramble or breakfast burrito. Scramble omelet veggies with small crumbled pieces of tofu, season with turmeric, cumin, paprika and pepper. Use firm tofu but do not freeze for the scramble.
- Bread, season, and bake in the oven until golden brown.
Are you afraid of tofu? Did you get over your fear? What are your favorite recipes or tofu dishes?