Sometimes the repetitive everyday gets us stuck in the same path and can be monotonous. Baseball players find themselves in slumps, writers have writer’s block, we all get stuck in a rut from time to time. I wanted to share a few ideas on how to get yourself out of a rut and experiencing the fun things of life.
- Mix up your workout – When I’m in a fitness rut I will buy a new workout DVD or try something new. Join a group or a new class.
- Try a new routine – Over the course of a week try different things; drive a different way to work, drink a new or different coffee, mix up your morning routine, try a new meal. You get the idea.
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed – Tackle the small tasks first. Start small and work your way up.
- Call up a friend – Talk with someone who you haven’t talked to in a while. Remember old times or talk about new plans. Sometimes the people in your immediate proximity can contribute to the everyday routine. Not that they’re bad, but it helps to mix it up.
- Work on a vision board – If it helps Oprah, it will help you. 🙂
- Make a list – I’m a list making fool. Uses lists to evaluate your goals and objectives and get your priorities in order.
- Splurge – Do something you wouldn’t normally do (of course, within economical limits). Find something fun to do, get your nails done, take dance lessons, have a nice dinner out. Enjoy yourself.
- Challenge yourself – Set at challenge for a week or for a month. A new found dedication and purpose can break you out of your rut.
- Use photos – Look at photos of your life over the years, look back on old times and rekindle the things you lost contact with. Did you like art in college? Try your hand at water colors or colored pencils.
Please note: This article is not about depression. If you have a medical condition, please consult a doctor. This article and all LAL articles are intended for helpful tips, not medical advice.