It was only a few years ago that I realized that sweet potatoes and yams weren’t the same food. Many people use the terms interchangeably. Both veggies looking a lot alike. Today I am writing about the differences to help you when shopping at the market.
- Sweet potatoes are grown in the southern states of the US.
- These potatoes are sweet.
- Sweet potatoes have a smooth, thin skin.
- The shape is short and blocky.
- Sweet potatoes offer more protein per serving – 5 grams vs 2 for yams.
- Sweet potatoes are much higher in Vitamin A than yams.
- Yams are grown in the Caribbean and are imported.
- Yams are more starchy.
- Yams have a coarse, scaly skin.
- The shape is long and cylindrical.