Soon we will be seeing asparagus at the farmers markets and more prominently in stores. Today I’d like to share a few tidbits about asparagus.
- Asparagus is a great source of Foliate. One 1/2 cup serving contains 34% of your daily requirement.
- Asparagus helps digestive health with the carbohydrate inulin and 7% of your daily requirement of fiber.
- “Under ideal conditions, asparagus can grow 10″ in a 24 hour period”. (!)
- Asparagus is a member of the lily family, and are related to onions, garlic and leeks.
- Boil asparagus for 5-8 minutes for a tender veggie.
- To maintain freshness, store clean asparagus for up to 3 days in the refrigerator with the bottom wrapped in a damp paper towel.
- When purchasing, choose firm, straight stems. Look for tightly-closed tips.
Are you a fan of asparagus? How do you prepare it? Return tomorrow for a recipe for Lemon Asparagus and Mushroom Pasta.