Finding your salads boring? They can be, so spice them up! Today I’m listing 15 foods you might not to think to your salad but will really add personality and flavor.
- Strawberries – Strawberries are amazing with spinach and balsamic vinegar.
- Crasins – Add a little bit of sweet to your salads, crasins pair well with a nut like walnuts.
- Mushrooms – I am a big mushroom fan, I can add them to just about anything.
- Pecans – Add a little protein and flavor when you put nuts on your salad.
- Walnuts – Ditto.
- Apples – Sliced or diced apples can add a surprising crunch to a salad. Green apples work well.
- Sunflower seeds – Mix up your salad by adding a tablespoon of sunflower seeds. They’re also a great little snack.
- Homemade Croutons – You gotta add a little bready crunch to your salad.
- Broccoli – Raw or lightly steamed broccoli adds flavor, fiber, and variety.
- Chickpeas – Provide a protein and flavor boost with chickpeas. Don’t forget you can alternatively add a bit of hummus too!
- Black Olives – I love black olives they bring a savory flavor to the table. For a salty, sophisticated flavor, try kalamata olives.
- Grapes – Yum.
- Oranges – There is something about the citrusy flavor of an orange combined with the tart flavor of spinach. These two work together in a salad or with smoothies. Consider adding OJ to salad dressings.
- Peppers – Add color to your salad with red, orange, yellow, or green peppers.
- Onions – Sliced thinly, onions are a tasty addition to a salad. Personally, I love adding thinly sliced red onions.
With this list your salads should be exciting! I’d love to hear, what do you put on your salads???