As we all know (and sometimes begrudgingly accept) exercise and fitness is a part of our lives and should be practiced daily. However, a lot of us are working out on a budget. I, personally, do not belong to a gym or make that part of my budget, but I still manage to get in a good sweat. Today I wanted to write about How to Workout on a Budget.
- Go Running! – All you need is a good pair of shoes. Find something that is supportive and hit the road. You can run through your neighborhood or a park. While you’re out you’ll come across people walking their dogs, people strolling with their kids. It’s also great to get some sunlight and vitamin D.
- Workout Videos – I am a big fan of workout videos. To read which ones I use and recommend check out my post here. All you need to workout are a pair of hand weights, and if you don’t have them, you can substitute water bottles or cans for added resistance. Check out your local library, buy a few from amazon, or borrow them from friends. YouTube has oodles of workout videos and how to workout clips.
- Yoga in the Park – Check out the local newspaper for yoga in the park or group sessions. There are locations that offer inexpensive yoga classes. If you don’t want to pay, read up on the practice and get out to the park and try a few moves yourself!
- Join a Sports Team – Joining a softball team or a soccer team will burn calories and provide an opportunity to meet new friends. It doesn’t have to be formal, call up friends or put out an ad for a game of ultimate frisbee or football.
- Volunteer to Walk a Dog – If you are an animal lover, this one’s for you. Dogs need exercise as well as humans. Volunteer at an animal shelter to walk dogs, you will get in a couple of miles and the homeless dogs will be happy too. It’s a win / win. Even if you can’t get to a shelter you could ask to walk a neighbor or friend’s pup. They will love the attention and you will have fun too!
- Dance – Crank up your radio and have a dance party. That’s pretty much what you do when you Zumba. Rock out and shake your booty to your favorite tunes for an hour and you will be burning calories while having fun.
- Utilize Apps – If you have a smart phone with downloadable apps, peruse the iTunes library and get yourself a few free exercise apps. Learn new yoga poses or view sample workouts. The Jillian Michaels Slimdown app has tons of workouts that you can put together in your own circuit workout. Read more about fitness apps here.
- Bike – While bikes can be expensive, you can still find them used for a lower price. Check out the newspaper and Craigslist for fitness supplies. Biking will get you out on the pavement. Plan a trip to a store and save some gas while burning calories or check out the sights at a local park or bike trail.
What are your favorite ways to workout at a low cost? Do you have any suggestions? I’d love to hear your thoughts! Please share below.