I’m one for multitasking especially while working out! I also like to be entertained. Put down the remote and break a sweat while watching your favorite show. Here are a few ideas to keep you moving during your favorite shows.
- Set Up A TV with the Treadmill – Running on a treadmill can be boring, I will admit, I lose interest very quickly. Set up a television in front of your workout gear. Choose programs that are fast moving, I enjoy sporting events and musical programs like Dancing with the Stars.
- Maximize Commercial Breaks – Decide on a routine to do during commercial breaks. This could include jumping jacks, jumping rope, crunches, squats, and push-ups.
- Push Up Contest – I like to set personal goals and I hate push ups. The only way to get me to do them is to create a challenge. Start with the first commercial break and see how many push ups you can do. It maybe just one or a handful, but as time goes on, you will improve and your body will adapt. Keep track, get first grade about it – break out the stickers or colored pencils, whatever keeps you motivated! Before this season of American Idol is over you’ll be a push-up Queen! (or King 🙂 )
- Crunch During Commercials – Work on your abs during commercial breaks. Do crunches and other ab exercises during each break.
- Hand Weights – During your favorite show do a few bicep curls, chest presses, overhead presses. Read more hand weight exercises ideas here. Don’t have hand weights? Use cans of soup or bottles of water for added weight.
- Circuit Training – Finish a great workout in 30 minutes. Read more about circuit training here. Fit in a workout during a sitcom.
I’d suggest these workouts in addition to your daily workout routine as an extra boost. If you can burn calories instead of consuming them, think chips, cookies, and crackers, you’re ahead of the game!